Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wild Thing

I finally saw Michelangelo Antonioni's Blowup this weekend. While it was a treat to see a very young Jane Birkin as a desperate, ditzy model wannabe and a Yardbirds performance featuring some very Who-like guitar smashing, the highlight for me was the stunning Veruschka.
Stalking The Wild Veruschka, Playboy January 1971

I first discovered Veruschka, oddly enough, in Playboy. My father, not having had any sons, bequeathed to me some back issues, dating from 1969 to 1971. These magazines are awesome: from the ads (for cigarettes: "Blow in her face and she'll follow you anywhere.") to the interviews (Mick Jagger), to the articles on the civil rights movement and the environment to the sixties fashion and artsy photoshoots very far removed from what the publication is today. Here's a little more of the 6'1" Russian stunner:


All images via The Fashion Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments give me a happy!